We are working on an exciting search with Intuitive Surgical, the innovative leader in robotic-assisted surgery and inventor of the da Vinci Surgical System, for an Interaction Design Lead. They are building a Human-Centered Design capability with the mission of expanding the product and service ecosystem.
UX Leader Deuce Cruse, formerly of IDEO, is building an elite design team to develop and prototype new user interface concepts spanning hardware and supporting software (web and native applications). IS has great hardware and now the mission is to develop software for a broader ecosystem.
Candidates should have product design experience and a proven record of bringing products to market that contain complex user interactions. Experience with products with physical interactions that are not solely web or software based is required.
To learn more about Intuitive, see the following links to press articles and videos:
This opportunity will be located at the headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA.
If interested, please email Michelle Stuhl at firstname.lastname@example.org with relevant portfolio images and/or links.
Michelle Stuhl & Company, Inc. is a global retained executive search firm specializing in recruiting creative and business talent for executive positions.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design world class physical and digital interfaces. Maintain superior design standards and methods from brainstorming through prototyping and implementation. Ensure a thorough understanding of the problems being solved by working with the clinical engineering, product managers and the engineering team.
- Organize and participate in user research activities. Collect detailed information about how users interact with the da Vinci product through ethnography and other techniques. Synthesize key insights from research and report them back to the product development team.
- Contribute to the visual language of the product. The candidate will collaborate with visual designers to produce beautiful and functional interfaces.
- Contribute to design documentation, risk analysis and testing. Write user interface specifications that communicate design intent to engineering and that can be verified by testing. In collaboration with Human Factors Engineers, analyze designs for safety risks in light of potential use errors, and design mitigations for those risks. Participate in the validation of product usability through informal and formal testing with representative users.
- Eight years of experience in product design (in-house, agency, or freelance)
- Preference for Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, or an engineering discipline
- Proven record of bringing products to market that contain complex user interactions, especially products with physical interactions that are not solely web- or software-based
- Proficient in the use of current design tools and software applications
- Possess a strong aesthetic sense and some artistic skill in addition to superior technical competence
- Experience with GUI programming in either prototype or production environments is a plus
- Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time