Michelle Stuhl & Co has been retained by Intuitive Surgical, the innovative leader in robotic-assisted surgery and inventor of the da Vinci Surgical System, to identify a Senior Interaction Designer – Service Design. The position reports to UX Leader Deuce Cruse, formerly of IDEO, who is building an elite design team to develop and prototype new user interface concepts. The company is experiencing tremendous growth and offers highly competitive compensation packages, including significant equity & RSU's.
Chuck Jones, a visionary designer, has been hired as Chief Design Officer to build a Human Centered Design organization.
Intuitive has made a deep and long lasting commitment to building a stellar design function, recognizing and valuing the role that exceptional design plays in improving the healthcare experience and saving the lives of patients worldwide. This is an incredible opportunity to join a phenomenal, growing design team, designing interactions and experiences for a mission minded organization.
Candidates should have a minimum of five years’ experience in interaction design for mobile & web and a proven record of bringing products to market that contain complex user interactions. A degree in Interaction Design, Industrial/Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors or Engineering is desirable, but not required.
This opportunity will be located at the headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA.
Please forward resumes and images of work to Michelle Stuhl at Michelle@MichelleStuhl.com
Senior Interaction Designer - Service
About the Role
Interaction Design is a key role at Intuitive Surgical, with responsibilities that integrate multiple technical disciplines to jointly create products that make the experience of using technically complex surgical devices safe, easy to learn, and confidence-inspiring.
Interaction designers provide first-hand knowledge of user experience with our products and services, develop and prototype new user experience concepts, and perform evaluations to efficiently iterate and converge on designs that are safe, useable and delightful for our users.
The Senior Interaction Designer is expected to design solutions for complex design systems. Our family of products include physical and software experiences and can expand to include 2d and 3d (AR/VR) space.
For this particular position, he or she will be focused on multimodal experiences that support activities across the Intuitive product lines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Design world class physical and digital multimodal experiences. Maintain superior design standards
and methods from brainstorming through prototyping and implementation. Ensure a thorough understanding of the problems, the goal, and the success factors for a user by working with clinical engineering, human factors, product managers and engineering teams.
2. Deliver detailed design documentation including written specifications that communicate design intent to engineering that can be verified by testing.
3. Participate in and contribute to user research activities. Work closely and collaborate with user- research teams to formulate questions for user research and usability, synthesize key insights from observation and formative evaluations and report them back to the product development team.
4. In collaboration with Human Factors Engineers, analyze designs for safety risks in light of potential use errors, and design mitigations for those risks. Participate in the validation of product usability through informal and formal testing with representative users.
5. Contribute to the visual design of the product. The candidate will collaborate with our visual design team to produce delightful experiences that align with our brand language.
• Minimum five years of experience in mobile or web design (in-house or agency).
• Experience bringing new products through an iterative process balancing prioritized trade-offs
that consider user, product, engineering and business needs.
• Experience designing complex user interactions—such as multimodal experiences across
physical, digital and in-person experiences.
• Empathetic listening and bidirectional communication skills demonstrated in effective
interactions with users, peers, team members and management
• Preference for Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a design-related field, e.g., Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or Product Design.
• Proficient in the use of current design tools and software applications for design and prototyping (e.g. Sketch, Zeplin, InVision, Framer, etc)
• Possess a strong aesthetic sense and some artistic skill in addition to technical competence
• Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user
• Ability to travel up to 10% of the time