Fjord has been pioneering the art and science of digital service design since we started out nearly ten years ago.
We partner with global clients to create service solutions that work across multiple platforms and deliver transformational results.
The work is exciting and fun, but also demanding and not for the faint-hearted. It requires a willingness to think differently, to take responsibility for delivery, to communicate clearly, and to apply creativity and innovation throughout.
We work in multi-disciplinary teams under the direction of a design leader, and we often work across our five offices, sharing the work to ensure that the best mix of people and talent is made available to the client.
We are hiring a Senior Visual Designer for our San Francisco office:
We are looking for a self motivated team member who is passionate about interactive media and wants to learn new skills, work in multidisciplinary teams, and deliver excellent quality solutions to leading companies in the following sectors: Media, Telecoms and Internet Information Providers. The work Fjord delivers ranges from mobile services to web, Interactive TV, and digital interfaces embedded in physical environments.
We expect the successful candidate to have several years experience of delivering interface design solutions for various clients. Ideally the candidate has worked in a collaborative team environment before, and has experience of interacting with multinational clients.
The candidate must have experience in screen design and it is important that they also have an understanding of how to deliver excellent quality visual solutions on smaller portable screens. Deep working knowledge of standard visual design tools like Photoshop and Illustrator are a must. Experience with Flash, 3D graphics packages, and motion graphics software like After Effects is essential.
Knowledge, skills and attributes
• Prior experience designing applications that balance user needs, commercial interests, and technological constraints.
• Experience designing for cross-platform services.
• 6 + years experience or a relevant degree.
• Effective and timely communicator.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Enthusiastic, highly creative, with a professional, positive ‘can do’ attitude and an excellent team player.
• Willingness to travel and work overseas
• Visual design of interfaces across several digital platforms: mobile, the Web, PC applications, and interactive TV.
• Apply strategic thinking to deliver end-to-end user experience solutions with a focus on user needs and business goals
• Participate at the early stages of project definition and proposition creation on multiple projects.
• Turn visions into concepts and translate those concepts into designs that illustrate simplicity despite system complexity. Utilize industry design standards and best practices to define and implement design criteria, design guidelines.
• Work directly with customers and third-party partner to design end-to-end solution
• Produce UX and GUI concepting
• Produce personas, storyboards, scenarios, design prototypes, motion graphic solutions, transitions and demos created in Flash, 3D or similar software package
• Branding and identity solutions for Fjord client services and companies, and also for Fjord.
• Effectively communicate and present research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
• Collaborate effectively with remote team members, including designers, researchers, engineering, product management, marketing, and others
• Participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes other designers, project management, business and brand strategists, and hardware and software developers.
• Art direction for photo shoots or similar events.
• Project team leader: lead and coordinate the work of a small project team. Ensure efficient work and the focus on the critical tasks.
• Support other team members and educate them in areas where you have expertise.
• Client contact: be the primary client contact and liaison on projects where you take a lead role overall, or on the design side.
• Collaborate with project managers or office MD to structure project work, plan and execute on client proposals or pitches, and take responsibility for overall quality of design solutions and successful delivery of client work.
• Strategic and creative input on a variety of projects: participate at the early stages of service or application definition and proposition creation. Input varies from participation in brainstorms to development of user-focused offerings, most likely together with a wider team.
• Optional skills: illustration, photography, or diagrammatic expertise (information visualisation)
To Apply, please send resume and portfolio to:
Be sure to include the job title in the email subject line.