We are seeking a UX Intern to help with interaction design and research work at our five-person user experience consultancy. We’re looking for someone who can primarily do stunning visual design, and secondarily wants to conduct UX research and contribute to designing qualitative and quantitative studies. We won’t ask you to make copies but we will ask you to do a lot of different things, and to keep up with our pace. In return, we’ll involve you in real-world project work with our unforgivably fresh set of clients ranging from Sony to Greenpeace, mentor you in our cutting edge methods, and treat you as a full member of our awesome team.
BP provides design and usability recommendations for applications, websites, mobile technologies, video games, and occasionally cars. We create research and design-oriented web software like Ethnio, our live research recruiting tool. We wrote the book on remote UX research and have been known to win the odd award for our video work.
We are looking for someone who has a passion for user experience, strong teamwork skills, a growing and intriguing design portfolio, and a fearless attitude toward both people and technology. If cold-calling 3 people you’ve never met, helping them set up their janky computer systems so they can show you how they use a web app while you listen, and then speed-sketching solution ideas and editing video highlights to convince a client to take action sounds like a fun day to you, then we should talk.
Help our wannabe-designer CEO update the design of ethnio.com and boltpeters.com
Improve user experiences for our Clients.
Develop concept designs, stories, and/or architectures in response to research findings.
Moderate UX studies remotely and in the field for prototypes and products of all sorts.
• BA/BS in interaction design, human-computer interaction, or a related field (we’re very open here – convince us!)
• Strong web design abilities – wireframes, mockups, sketches are all part of your repertoire.
• Expertise with Photoshop, Visio, Omnigraffle, or similar tools. Experience with current and emerging web technologies including CSS3 and HTML5 is ideal.
• Analytical skills – you enjoy beating a giant spreadsheet of data into an elegant story.
• Top-drawer written, phone, and in-person social skills. Empathetic listening is especially important.
• Fast typing (50 WPM +) for taking notes during user interviews.
Past user interview experience.
Video editing/production experience.
3-month internship, possibility of full-time hire at conclusion if business conditions and your performance support it.
$12-16/hour depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
• Send us an email that shows you checked out our company at least a little bit, and is not the exact same email you sent to some other, far more boring company.
• Make sure to include your personal portfolio website and links to cool stuff by or about you online.
• Please don’t attach a cover letter as a word .doc. Just a plain old email is great.
• Feel free to attach your resume in any format (PDF, DOC, HTML, WHATEVS).
NO PHONE CALLS. ESPECIALLY RECRUITERS!
Please don’t call. For anything. Ever. For recruiters, our phone system has a special shock back mechanism.